2015 Ski-Doo Summit X 800R ETEC with T32014/03/06
Ski-Doo revealed the 2015 sled lineup in Québec tonight. And, they have been busy perfecting the mountain sled. What’s the big news? T3. The 2015 Ski-Doo Summit X 800 REV-XM is available for Spring-Only buyers with an assembly of innovations called T3.
T3 – The Track
The new 3″ lug track in a 163″ or 174″ length is an industry first from a manufacturer. In fact, the cost to swap a 2.5″ track to a 3″ Camoplast X3 track this past year was anywhere from $1,000 – $1,500 – and it’ is a big upgrade to any of the mountain sleds.
This new PowderMax 3 Flex Edge track is a new lightweight design that a few magazine editors have already tested in West Yellowstone. Ryan Harris of SnoWest said of the 174″ track, it is designed to “take your time picking your lines and accessing stuff you’re not going to do on a 154.” Ski-Doo executive Sandy Scallion touts that the 174″ version is not a niche sled for the most extreme riders. In fact, it makes a intermediate or even a novice rider a more confident, better rider.
Maybe the Spring Fever program will come with a no-stuck guarantee.
T3 – Lightweight Innovations for Summit X
The T3 package includes new innovations from front to back that improve the ride, performance and weight. 16.1 pounds is what Ski-Doo engineers stripped off the Summit XM in order to make the 2015 Ski-Doo Summit X 800 174″ T3 to be the same weight as the 2014 Ski-Doo Summit X 800 163. How did they do it?
1. Exhaust – the T3 muffler is 5 pounds lighter
2. Spindles and A-Arms – the spindle is longer under the a-arms and they still lost 2 pounds
3. Chaincase and Drivers – the smaller drivers and new chaincase that is 1 1/2″ longer and lower and is 1 1/2 lbs lighter
4. Rear Rear Suspension – the arms on this new T-Motion version are chrome moly and there are no idler wheels gives us a net 3 lb weight loss
5. Track – the new 3″ design PowderMax has more windows and less rubber reinforcement on the edges losing just over 2 lbs
6. Heat Exchanger has a 50% smaller surface area and is 2.5 lbs lighter.
7. Pilot DS 3 skis – these have an optional powder tip (ski flotation extension) so you can tune your sleds to the snow conditions. The keel is 12mm deeper.
The new spindle design is longer and sheds 2 pounds. Ski-Doo added 20mm between the lower a-arm and ski saddle.
8. Ice Scratchers – the new ice scratchers are a little lighter and reversible
In addition to the T3 enhancement package for the Summit X, all the summits will come with the new RF D.E.S.S key that wirelessly connects instead of relying on getting a good tether connection – no more annoying beep.
T3 Exclusive for Spring Orders
Ski-Doo understands how to innovate and how to market. The X3 package is only available on the X models, and thus the way to get one is drop $500 on a Spring Order. The in-season 2015 Ski-Doo Summit SP will be the same as the 2014 with the new wireless key and color as the only changes.
Compared to the in-season orange SP model, the T3 X model is $900 more, but you also are adding the HPG Plus shocks. The T3 X is only $550 more than the orange X model with the 2.5″ track. Remember, the 2.5″ track version of the Summit X does not come with the other T3 enhancements either.